We have all our little after-meal quirks. But are they all good? Not easy. To avoid spending the whole afternoon digesting, feeling heavy, here are six common mistakes to avoid.
- Take a nap right after eating : if 10 to 15 minutes of rest are beneficial to get off on the right foot, in fact you have to wait about two hours after eating to take a nap. Why ? Done right after lunch, the nap slows down digestion because when lying down, food stays longer in the stomach before going down into the intestines.
- Smoking after lunch : The after-breakfast cigarette is one of the smokers’ favorites. It is also one of the most dangerous because nicotine passes through the digestive tract and increases the risk of cancer.
- Drink tea : there are coffee and tea enthusiasts. They should wait an hour after lunch before tasting their infusion. Because the tannins in tea inhibit certain digestive enzymes and complicate the absorption of iron.
- To chew gum : unable to brush your teeth discreetly at work, you often get into the habit of chewing gum to freshen your breath. Chewing gum swallows air, which slows digestion and can cause bloating.
- Return to sit after the last bite swallowed: if you don’t need to lie down and take a nap right after the meal, you shouldn’t sit down either! Sitting compresses the stomach. The best solution: take a small digestive walk of 10 minutes.
- Play sports : the body cannot do two things at the same time: digest and activate, because each of these activities requires significant efforts from the body.