Chrononutrition is not a diet. “It’s an art of living, and of living well,” says Dr Alain Delabos, nutritionist. And how to live well, if you don’t treat yourself to a few gourmet menus from time to time, especially at Christmas time! But to take full advantage of the holiday season, there are mistakes to avoid, especially before Christmas Eve.
The principle of chrononutrition
Chrononutrition respects your metabolism and prevents you from storing food because it is consumed at the right time, depending on the circadian rhythm of cortisol, the hormone that regulates appetite. The explanations of Dr Delabos.
- “It is in the morning that the secretion of cortisol is strongest. This is the right time to eat fatty foods that are useful for building cells and which will be metabolized throughout the day.
- The second spike in cortisol occurs in the late morning. At this point, gastric juices and digestive enzymes digest protein. It’s time to eat meat.
- In the afternoon, the last peak in cortisol takes place, much less important. It’s time to eat sweet.
- In the evening, the secretion of cortisol is very low, it is necessary to opt for a poor dinner, or even not to have dinner if you are not hungry. “
By respecting this distribution of food throughout the day, you will avoid storing in the arms, chest, stomach … and thus obtain the desired silhouette.
For breakfast, eat fatty
“Take it within an hour of getting up, and compose it with cheese, butter or olive oil and bread, in addition to coffee, tea or herbal tea. sugar, ”explains Dr Delabos.
Cheese side, prefer those of goat and sheep, easily digestible. And to avoid water retention before the holidays, avoid cantal, parmesan, mimolette, roquefort, gorgonzola … rich in salt.
In bread, favor the baguette; sandwich, Swedish and other industrial breads have hidden sugars.
- “For cheese, consume your height in centimeters – 100, that is, if you are 1.60 m tall, 60 g of cheese.
- The bread represents 40% of the portion of cheese, i.e. again for 1.60 m (60 x 40): 100 = 24 g.
- The amount of oil is 2 teaspoons, if you measure less than 1.60 m remove 1 tbsp, if you measure more add 1 tsp. every 10 cm. If you prefer butter, count between 10 and 20 g. “
At noon, fill up on protein
“Have lunch 4 to 6 hours after your breakfast. Compose that midday meal of meat, at least, in grams, your height in centimeters, says the nutritionist. Add vegetables to it that will help you achieve a slender figure: 2 tbsp. to s. if you are 1.60 m tall, 1 tsp. to s. in addition every 10 cm from 1.70 m and 1 tsp. to s. less if you are less than 1.60 m tall. ”
On the other hand, avoid slow sugars (potatoes, pasta, rice …). “To lose weight, the body burns sugars before burning fat,” explains Dr. Delabos. So, by ignoring them, you quickly get a slender figure. ”
In December, you will find, at the butcher, quail, guinea fowl, rabbit, duck … and at the market gardener, carrots, white cabbage, red cabbage, Brussels sprouts, parsnips, pumpkin, endive, celery …
At afternoon tea, treat yourself to sweets
“Wait until you are hungry again to taste,” advises the nutritionist. Or about five hours after lunch. And compose this snack of fast sugars that will turn into energy and keep you in shape until the evening. ”
Give yourself a taste of Christmas by tasting 30 g of dark chocolate, or 2 tbsp. to s. nuts, hazelnuts, almonds … Take advantage of it, it’s the high season for nuts! Add an autumn fruit like apple, pear, kiwi, persimmon … or 4 tbsp. to s. of fruit salad or 15 cl of fruit juice.
At dinner, prefer fish
“The latter should be taken at least an hour before going to bed,” adds the nutritionist. But if, after tasting good, you are not hungry, then do not force yourself to have dinner. If you are hungry, go for fish, these light proteins cannot be stored. Serve them with a dessert plate of vegetables if you are 1.60 m tall, and a flat plate if you are 1.70 m tall and over. ”
On the fish side, it’s the season of seabass (a little expensive), sea bream, carp, haddock, dab, whiting.
You ate normally, without depriving yourself and while respecting your appetite. You will thus be able to tackle the holidays, without having taken a gram on the scale.
To read also: our file Preparing and living well the end-of-year celebrations