Cade oil should be used with great care because of some of its properties. Advice from Evelyne Chartier, aromatherapy practitioner and aromatherapist at Rives de Seine Puteaux hospital, USLD and Courbevoie SSR 1er, 2.
What is that ?
The Cade (juniperus oxyucedrus) is a variety of Juniper. It is part of the cupressaceae family. It is a shrub that is found throughout the Mediterranean basin, in the maquis, low-altitude mountains, pine forests, bushes.
His bark is reddish gray in color. His foliage is persistent. It has fine-tipped needles with two white stripes, while other junipers only have one. He blooms in spring, its berries are dark red in color and have a diameter of 8 to 10 mm.
The Cade wood is renowned for its hardness and his rot-proof heart.
What part is used to make Cade essential oil?
Cade essential oil is made by steam distillation of Cade wood.
The main active substances in Cade essential oil are the sesquiterpenes at a rate of 65%, phenols present between 5 and 10% and sesquiterpenols up to 8 to 10%.
Cade essential oil is dark brown, almost black in color.
What are the properties of Cade essential oil?
Cade essential oil has many virtues.
– She is anti-inflammatory.
– She is anti-infectious.
– She is antiseptic.
– She is pest control and dewormer.
– She is venous and lymphatic decongestant.
– She is relaxing and harmonizing.
– It promotes concentration.
– She helps fight against addictions (craving, sugar, tobacco).
Cade essential oil is used by the skin, in diffusion and in olfaction.
What to treat with Cade essential oil?
– Against heavy legs and cellulite : mix 1 to 3% Cade essential oil with 70% Jojoba oil and 27 to 29% Calophylle oil. Apply in massage.
– Against dermatoses (eczema, scabies, psoriasis, etc.) : mix 20 drops of essential oil of Cade with 10 drops of essential oil of Geranium Bourbon, 5 drops of essential oil of Nard, 5 drops of essential oil of Frankincense in 57 ml of Jojoba oil. Apply to injured areas, massaging, 3 times a day.
– To cleanse the scalp and restore shine to the hair : several possibilities: Quick, mix 1 drop of Cade essential oil in a knob of shampoo and wash your hair. As a mask: 1 ml of Cade essential oil to mix with 9 ml of Jojoba vegetable oil. Apply as a mask to the hair and leave for 1 to 2 hours then shampoo.
– Against moths : pour 1 drop of Cade essential oil on a cotton handkerchief in the wardrobe to protect clothes from moth holes.
– To relax or to concentrate : in a diffuser, place 2 drops of Cade essential oil with 2 drops of Ylang-Ylang essential oil and 2 drops of lavender essential oil. Breathe this mixture into the room for about ten minutes. Faster: place 1 drop of Cade essential oil in the palm of your hand. Place the cupped hands and breathe for a few minutes.
– To fight against addictions to sugar, tobacco : breathe 1 drop of Cade essential oil placed in the hand, when the urge arises.
Oily skin: regulate sebum with hydrosol
Cade essential oil hydrosol contains 1% of the aromatic molecule. It can be used to clean oily skin, twice a week. This helps regulate sebum.
What precautions should be taken with Cade essential oil?
– Before any use of Cade essential oil, it is imperative to test at the crease of the elbow 48 hours before.
– In case of redness, it is necessary dilute further Cade oil by increasing the proportion of vegetable oil.
– Be careful, Cade essential oil contains high levels of phenols that can pass into the general circulation!
– Cade essential oil should be used on a short term: 4 days maximum, due to risk of dermo-caustic allergy.
What are the contraindications?
– Cade essential oil should not be used by people suffering fromallergy to juniper.
– It is contraindicated for renal failure.
– Estrogenlike, it should not be used in women who have suffered or are suffering from hormone-dependent cancer.
– Cade essential oil is not suitable in case of papillomavirus.
– It is prohibited for pregnant women, to the nursing mothers, to the children under 15.