Clary Sage essential oil is dedicated to women because it relieves, among other things, menstrual pain and hot flashes during menopause. Advice from Annabel Guy, PhD in phyto-aromatherapist pharmacy, to use it well.
What is that ?
The Clary sage (salvia sclarea) is a aromatic plant which is characterized by large flowering stems of about a meter and large green and hairy leaves. The flowers are pink to pastel blue-purple. They can be admired from June to September.
Clary Sage is a member of the Lamiaceae family. Native to the Mediterranean, it is found in France, in Provence because she loves the sun and warm temperatures, and in southern Europe.
It is an aromatic plant and condiment, but in the kitchen it is less known than the Officinal sage.
In the Middle Ages, she was called ‘the all good’.
What parts are used to make the essential oil?
Clary sage essential oil is made from flowering plant who is steam distilled.
Clary Sage essential oil contains linalool, linalyl acetate and sclareol.
What are the benefits of Clary Sage essential oil?
– She is, mainly, ‘estrogen-like’. That is, she has a hormonal action : it brings natural estrogens. It is therefore interesting for reducing the premenstrual syndrome in young women, to reduce hot flashes, the mood swings, theinsomnia and theanxiety in women in peri-menopause and Menopaused.
– She is anti-infectious.
– She is anxiety, calming, relaxing.
– She is aphrodisiac !
The essential oil of Clary Sage is mainly used by skin massage, in diluted form. More rarely, we can have recourse to diffusion or at theinhalation, but you should know that its smell is very particular. About the oral, it should be used only on medical prescription.
What to treat with the essential oil of Clary Sage?
Mainly the female ailments.
– Against the painful periods and premenstrual syndrome
Mix 5 drops of Clary Sage essential oil in 2 tbsp. to c. (10 ml) of vegetable oil such as Macadamia or Jojoba. Massage the stomach clockwise in case of pain.
– Against the symptoms of menopause
For women in menopause who suffer from hot flashes, of mood swing, ofinsomnia…: Mix 5 drops of Clary Sage essential oil in 2 tbsp. to c. Macadamia or Jojoba oil. Massage the chest, stomach and arms when the need arises.
– For to relax, to calm down, fight againstanxiety
Mix 3 drops of Clary Sage essential oil with 3 drops ofLavender essential oil in 1 to 2 teaspoons of Macadamia or Jojoba oil. Massaging the solar plexus with this mixture, in the evening, before going to bed, or during the day in the event of a burst of anxiety.
– In the event of a drop in libido
Mix 3 drops of Clary Sage essential oil with 3 drops ofYlang-Ylang essential oil in 1 to 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of Macadamia or Jojoba oil. Massage the lower back with this mixture to restart the synthesis of cortisol and neurotransmitters.
What precautions should be taken ?
– Clary sage essential oil must be tested in the crease of the elbow 48 hours before its first use.
– In adolescent girls over 15 and young women, it must not be used only during menstruation.
What are its contraindications?
– Clary sage essential oil being ‘estrogen like’, it should not be used in women who have had hormone-dependent cancer (breast, ovary, uterus), nor by those suffering from mastosis or from fibroma.
– She is contraindicated for children, to the pregnant women and to nursing mothers.