Close protection and comfort agent. The face is the most exposed area of the body, on the front line in the face of external aggressions.
What are the benefits of face cream?
Composed of lipids and water, the face cream strengthens the hydrolipidic film, protective shield for the skin, limits possible irritation and tightness. It hydrates and nourishes, essential actions to soothe the skin subjected to daily washing, sometimes too aggressive.
Applied in massage, the face cream stimulates blood circulation, boosts collagen production for softer and more toned skin, less prone to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Perfectly smooth with a regular skin texture, the epidermis reflects light better and gains in radiance.
Which face cream for my skin type?
Fluid, smooth, gel, or more oily, the texture is a clue to determine the most suitable. Advice from Cécile Munoz, co-founder and R&D manager of La Canopée:
- Dry skin should bet on very creamy textures, rich in oil, butter, and / or wax.
- Oily skin can adopt lighter, more fluid, more watery textures, including gels, which hydrate without suffocating it.
- For normal to combination skin, all textures are suitable, we can choose them by sensory affinity.
Day cream: the right reflexes to adopt
“It is wise to make your face cream in small quantities, specifies our expert. The skin regenerates every three weeks. Its condition may vary depending on the environment, the season, the course of the menstrual cycle. ”
We opt for preferably virgin vegetable oils which guarantee pure quality. “The ideal is to store its creams in a cool place “.
“A cream rich in oil can be used 3 to 6 months. A cream containing an aqueous phase must absolutely be protected by a preservative to avoid a proliferation of bacteria, it can be used for up to a month.”
Three DIY Face Cream Recipes
Creamy protective and nourishing cream
- 50 ml of sweet almond oil
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon of granulated beeswax
- 1 tablespoon of rose water
- 10 drops of bigarade petit grain essential oil (HE)
- In a bowl, we pour the oils of sweet almond and jojoba, then we add beeswax. Place the bowl in a bain-marie and heat gently until the water simmers. While maintaining a slight boil, mix everything with a spatula so that the wax melts.
- When the preparation is clear, take the bowl out of the bain-marie. We pour rose water and essential oil of petit grain bigarade, mixing with a whisk as if to whip mayonnaise.
- Still allowed to cool while mixing, the cream becomes opaque and thickens. It is poured into a pot when it is still fluid.
Recipe taken from the “Living Earth Guide to Natural Beauty”. Ed. Living Earth. € 29.90.
Our expert’s advice:
This cream is very interesting for dry and sensitive skin. It can be used all year round, in the evening. The jojoba-sweet almond oil mix restores the hydrolipidic film, softens the skin, calms irritation. Regenerating, rose water should be poured warm into the preparation, cold, it may prevent the cream from being homogeneous. The essential oil of petit grain bigarade is soothing, revitalizing, it is added in the last step, after allowing the preparation to cool so as not to alter its virtues. We keep this cream in the fridge for one to two weeks.
Hydrating face oleogel
- 45 ml of aloe vera gel
- 4 ml of hazelnut oil
- 10 drops of essential oil of true lavender
- 10 drops of EO of verbenone rosemary
- 5 drops of cosgard
- In a bottle, we pour the aloe vera gel, then the hazelnut oil and essential oils.
- The bottle is closed and vigorously shaken until a creamy gel is obtained.
- The cosgard is added and the flask is stirred again to homogenize the preparation well.
Recipe from the book The Slow Cosmetic Visual Guide. Ed. Leduc S. € 19.
Our expert’s advice:
This treatment is perfect for combination to oily skin. The hazelnut oil and aloe vera combo regulates sebum while hydrating the skin. The essential oil of true lavender is healing and anti-bacterial, the EO of rosemary with verbenone cleanses and tightens large pores. Their large amount could be irritating, the formula should be tested in the corner of the elbow. You can swap cosgard with leudical, a 100% natural preservative, derived from salicylic acid which also purifies and soothes. This treatment can be used every day. Its more, it is vegan!
Vitamin night cream
- 3 tbsp. to s. apricot oil
- 1 C. to s. rosehip oil
- 5 g cocoa butter
- 5 g beeswax
- 7 ml rose water
- 25 drops of vitamin E
- 20 drops of true lavender essential oil
- 12 drops of essential oil of geranium
- 5 drops of carrot essential oil
- In a bowl, pour the apricot and rosehip oils and heat in a bain-marie.
- Add cocoa butter and beeswax to melt while stirring. When the mixture is homogeneous, remove the bowl from the bain-marie. Leave to cool for 3 min and pour lukewarm rose water, mix. When the preparation is creamy, add vitamin E and essential oils.
- We mix gently until the cream cools, thickens, and we put in a pot with a spatula.
Recipe from the book “Create your organic cosmetics”. Ed. Living Earth. € 22.
Our expert’s advice:
This cream Suitable for all types of skin. Its ingredients make it a very powerful anti-aging treatment with a creamy texture, to be applied in the evening as a massage. Apricot and rosehip oils are regenerating. True lavender essential oil is soothing and exudes a relaxing scent. Ditto for the essential oil of geranium, which as a bonus brings tone to the skin. Carrot essential oil prevents skin aging. We keep this cream in the fridge for two weeks.