Of course, sex makes us sweat, sometimes even sweat profusely, but does it really eliminate our two scoops of ice cream with whipped cream topping and caramelized hazelnuts? If so, in how many sessions, for how long? What is the energy expenditure of love? Investigation into a physical education unlike any other …
How many calories do you burn in intercourse?
According to a study published by the journal Plos One and quoted by Medical News Today (source 1), men burn an average of 101 calories, and women 69 calories, during a r25 minute sexual intake. You should therefore do sex sessions of this duration about two to three times to eliminate a chocolate eclair (241 calories on average) or a burger (295). According to the researchers who carried out this study, love would be in the category of moderate intensity exercise (more intense than walking but less than running).
Other studies count a little less or a little more energy expended during intercourse, but overall this does not seem to be the best way to losing weight. Maxime St-Onge, doctor of physical activity sciences in Montreal, compares sex to a game of darts: “Sex is not a very energy intensive activity. ”
A variable result depending on the positions and the energy you put into it
Obviously it depends on who is doing what: if you let yourself be straddled without doing anything in starfish mode, you won’t risk burning much. On the other hand, if you give yourself full for an hour, you will burn almost as many calories as during a short jogging or cycling session (not electric, of course), according to Bethsabee Krivoshey, the author of My notebook: sex and me. And if you are downright the Javanese wheelbarrow in the position of the same name, you will eliminate up to 500 calories. When you know that you burn an average of 170 to 280 calories in 30 minutes of swimming, it starts to be worth it (even bad, hihi).
Little extra: note that, according to the site’s experts Health (source 2), every moan burns five calories himself. To optimize the calorie expenditure, so do not hesitate to make noise.
Sex is good for the abs and overall shape
Build your abs while making love
The most used muscles by most sexual positions are the abdominals. As a bonus, the fact of contracting the belly causes a massage of it and thus promotes intestinal transit. Discover more tips in this article Build muscle while having sex.
Making love is good to keep in shape
Sex is a good heart exercise : the heart emits 100 beats per minute during the period of excitement and up to 180 at the time of orgasm (against 50 to 80 in normal times).
Be careful though, as Dr Lena Lange and colleagues from the Frankfurt Institute of Forensic Medicine explained in a recent study: sex can cause cardiovascular accidents, especially in subjects with a high body mass index (BMI) ”. Indeed, remember Uroko Onaja or Jim McConaughey, Matthew’s father, both of whom linked the small death to the big one for these reasons.
What sexual positions to burn calories?
While any type of sex is considered physical activity, some very active positions use several muscle groups and are more effective than others at melt fat.
- The Javanese wheelbarrow : in this acrobatic and demanding position, the woman is on all fours, resting on her forearms. The man comes to stand behind her, grabs her ankles, so as to put Madame’s thighs on her own thighs.
- The frenzy position : the man is seated, legs straight. The woman sits astride him opposite him and leans back, leaning on her arms. So you work your biceps and triceps.
- The deer in heat : the man is standing, and the woman’s back in front of him. He carries her while she folds her legs and holds them with her arms so that she is in a sitting position. It is then the man who manages the comings and goings at arm’s length, swinging his partner back and forth.
- The squatting doggy style : Monsieur is squatting on his feet in order to work his muscles more. Note: he also penetrates his partner more deeply.
For all, a missionary revisited
If the missionary position does not have a reputation as an “athletic” position, it can be! If Madame rotates her hips up and forward, so that the pelvis rises slightly, the effort will be intensified. As for sir, he will work his arms more if he is leaning on them rather than slouching on his partner. And if he breaks a kiss between some of these back and forth, then he will do pushups no less erotic
Other tips for maximizing energy expenditure
- Take control : when you are active, you inevitably spend more. If you want burn calories, it is therefore advisable to take the lead during your sexual intercourse. Stand over your lying partner on your back, have him do nothing, and alternate up and down movements using only your leg muscles. The up and down movement resembles that of a squat and make them work quadriceps, the hamstrings and the glutes.
- Hold on tight : the simple fact of maintaining a position will work the deep muscles and increase energy expenditure. Gainage assured!
- Eat after sex (or long before): first for the comfort of your stomach, which never wants to be tossed around when it’s full. Second, because libido and sex don’t like heavy stomachs or digestion. Finally, because it facilitates weight loss. Warning: a small banana will guarantee you tone while avoiding possible hypoglycemia.
In short, when it comes to caloric expenditure, most of the positions that we practice regularly are no match for swimming or cross-country skiing. But the advantage of this particular sport is that it can be practiced gently, quietly from home, and above all that it combines the useful with the pleasant.
(1) “How to lose weight by having sex”, Medical News Today, 1st December, 2017.
(2) “These Are the 5 Sex Positions That Burn the Most Calories”, Health, April 20, 2018.