Nicknamed “Fever tree”, eucalyptus is very effective against all infections that affect the nose, throat, ears and bronchi.
Globular eucalyptus and radiated eucalyptus
Two types of eucalyptus are useful, the globose (E. globulus) and the radiate (E. radiata). They are very similar, both tall, reaching up to 100m in Australia and 30m in Corsica, and very fragrant.
They are easily recognized by their smooth ash-blue gray trunk, and their evergreen and robust leaves, sickle-shaped, which give off a characteristic smell when crumpled. It is also the leaves that are used in herbal medicine.
Listed in the European Pharmacopoeia globular eucalyptus essential oil (eucalyptus globulus)andessential oil of radiated eucalyptus (eucalyptus radiata)are composed mainly of eucalyptol (or cineole), which gives them antimicrobial and expectorant properties of the respiratory tract.
The radiated eucalyptus is to be preferred in case of rhinitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, ear infections and even flu.
Its essential oil (ET) contains a little less eucalyptol than that of globular eucalyptus, but more monoterpene alcohols with antiviral properties. It neutralizes viruses by stimulating the immune system for a faster disappearance of microbes.
- In inhalation, add 3 drops of essential oil of eucalyptus radiated in a bowl of very hot water and breathe a maximum of vapor. To be done several times a day, as long as the symptoms last.
- Very effective also in treating otitis, suppositories (to be prepared by the pharmacist) containing essential oils of radiated eucalyptus, cloves and lavender, 2 drops of each, every 8 hours during the first days.
Eucalyptus also calms coughs
“If the cough is associated with a stuffy nose or a sore throat, we choose radiated eucalyptus. But if the bronchi are congested, we rather use globular eucalyptus, says Dr. Jean-Michel Morel, author of the Practical Treaty of Phytotherapy (ed. Grancher). Its monoterpenes fluidize secretions and facilitate ample breathing. ”
From 7 years old, radiated or globular, applied locally on the chest. Mix 1 to 2 drops of essential oil with macadamia oil; the active agents diffuse into the general circulation via the lungs to reach all the congested sites.
Eucalyptus decongests and fights fever
“TheEO of globular eucalyptus has anti-inflammatory effects which decongest the mucous membranes and improve a slight fever ”, notes Dr. Morel. An interesting action that adds to its expectorant properties.
Swallow 1 drop of EO of globular eucalyptus with 15 drops of anti-infectious propolis fluid extract, 2 to 3 times a day, during the symptoms. “This makes it possible to balance the formula and thus to avoid an overdose of eucalyptol”, concludes the specialist.
Precautions for use of eucalyptus EO
- EO of eucalyptus, radiated or globular, is contraindicated for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- It can only be used from the age of 7. Be careful, in high doses, pure and by mouth, it can cause an epileptic seizure in a child! If in doubt about the doses to use, it is better to seek the advice of a doctor, especially for Eucalyptus globulus.
- Not to be confused with lemon eucalyptus whose scent comes from its essential oil, composed mainly of citronellal. Strongly anti-inflammatory, it is used locally on the joints. Mix 5 to 10 drops in a teaspoon of vegetable oil, macadamia for example, and apply to the skin.