The term “draining” has no scientific basis: it refers to an elimination function. In the absence of proof, the diuretic virtues of plants are usage-based, useful if you are prone to Water retention and at the cellulite. Corn not to eliminate extra pounds. Take the capsules, or tablets of plants for draining purposes with a large glass of water, for 15 days to a month depending on the plants, so as not to lose essential minerals (sodium, potassium) in the urine and in the long run, experience drops in blood pressure, fatigue, or cramps.
All these plants are contraindicated if you are pregnant, if you are breastfeeding or if you suffer from kidney problems: they are likely to cause overactivity which is tiring for an already weakened organ.
Ash, a diuretic plant © iStock
- Why ? The diuretic activity is linked to the presence of mannitol and potassium salts.
- At what dose? 400 mg in dry extract, at the rate of one 200 mg capsule morning and evening. In infusion : 10 to 20 g of dried leaves in 1 l of boiling water, to drink during the day. In mother tincture: 5 to 15 drops per day, without meals.
- For how long ? The cure should be limited to two weeks.
- The product: Organic Herbiolys mother tincture, 50 ml, € 11.65. In organic stores, pharmacies and on the Internet.
- Why ? Used for promote renal water elimination.
- At what dose? Of them capsules approximately 200 mg of dry extract to be taken without meals. In infusion : 5 to 10 g of whole dried plant in 1 l of boiling water, one cup in the morning and another at noon, before meals.
- For how long ? From 9 to 18 days. Repeat if necessary, after a minimum break of one month.
- The product: Arkopharma Piloselle, 45 capsules, € 7.50. Pharmacies and on the Internet.
- Why ? The effect is believed to be due to the potassium salts of its dried leaves and flowering tops.
- At what dose? Dried leaf extract, to be taken in two capsules of 200 mg in the morning and the end of the afternoon. In infusion : 6 to 12 grams of dried plant for 1 l of water, in several doses over the day.
- For how long ? Do not exceed two weeks.
- Avoid if … You suffer from heart problems or renal colic.
- The product: Elusanes Orthosiphon, box of 30 capsules of 200 mg, € 5-7. In pharmacies and on the Internet.
- Why ? This plant is traditionally used for promote renal elimination.
- At what dose? In infusion (flowering tops and dried leaves), at a rate of 2 to 6 g per day in 1 l of water, to drink throughout the day. In dry extract in capsules : 800 to 1500 mg per day in total, to be taken with meals.
- For how long ? Not beyond a month.
- Avoid if… You are allergic to aspirin.
- The product: Organic Reine-des-meadows ampoules, Super Diet, € 10. In organic stores, pharmacies and on the Internet.
Morello cherry tail
- Why ? The stems of the fruit of this shrub facilitate renal elimination and increase urine.
- At what dose? In capsules, 1.5 g over the day, in two doses, one in the morning, one at noon. In decoction : for 10 grams of cherry stems (fresh or dried) in 1/2 liter of cold water, Drink up to 3 cups a day.
- For how long ? Two weeks.
- Avoid if… You are prone to urinary stones.
- The product: Organic cherry tail, La vie enherbe, Naturalia, 20 g sachet, € 3.95. Naturalia and on the Internet.
Draining recipe “5 plants” by Dr Jean-Michel Morel, herbalist doctor Leaves of meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria), ash (Fraxinus excelsior), birch (Betula alba), blackcurrant (Ribes nigrum), nettle (Urtica dioica),: 30 grams of each. Count 3 tbsp. to s. (a good handful) of this mixture for 1 l of boiling water, let infuse for 1/4 hour, filter. Drink it during the day, 5 days a week and three weeks a month, for a 15-day cure.