Whether in gel, cream, or milk, after-sun care is an essential beauty ritual during your holidays, but also when you return, to repair, moisturize and soothe your skin.
Why put on after-sun?
Tanning is a defense reaction to solar aggression which has not exceeded a certain threshold. Indeed, exposure to the sun can be a real aggression for the skin! In addition, it can be dangerous if our skin is not properly protected, especially because of ultraviolet rays from the sun (UVA and UVB) which are responsible for sunburn and premature aging of the skin. If sun protection is therefore required, the actions “after” exposure are just as important. The application of an after-sun milk is one of them.
What should an after-sun treatment contain?
Any after-sun worthy of the name must bring together:
- Moisturizing agents : its priority being to help the epidermis to restore its water balance, “its richness in essential fatty acids, ceramides, hyaluronic acid and aloe vera is essential”, explains Myriam Cohen, cosmetologist;
- Antioxidants : vitamin E, ubiquinone or coenzyme Q10, zinc, selenium, silicon, polyphenols (green tea, grape seeds) prevent the delayed oxidizing effects of UV rays;
- Soothing agents : unlike a simple moisturizing milk, the after-sun contains, in addition, soothing or anti-inflammatory active ingredients (alpha-bisabolol, beta-carotene, flavonoids) and often healing agents that repair and regenerate cells (allantoin, acid glycyrrhetinic from liquorice),
To know: a treatment intended for the face is of a finer texture, less greasy and less sticky. The body, poor in sebaceous glands, needs more lipids.
After-sun milk and sensitive skin
When you have sensitive skin, beware of perfumed formulas or those that contain certain essential oils (bergamot, lemon, tangerine, orange, grapefruit, verbena) whose furocoumarin molecules can be photosensitizing. Advice also intended for those who manufacture their beauty products.
The low dose alcohol in this type of product is not a problem.
What is the best after-sun?
Several types of after-sun care are available on the market:
- An after-sun that refreshes with the presence of volatile substances which give a feeling of cold on evaporation : alcohol in very low doses, menthol, glycerol or plant extracts such as orange blossom water;
- An after-sun that beautifies the skin: the finish is a little iridescent thanks to the presence of micronacres;
- An after-sun that prolongs the tan: already because it improves the quality and suppleness of the skin. Sometimes thanks to the presence of self-tanner (DHA, erythrulose) mentioned on the product. “But, specifies Myriam Cohen, the tendency is rather to act on the synthesis of melanin with boosters such as sulfur, certain peptides, tyrosine derivatives”.
How to apply your cream or milk after sun?
Applying sunscreen is done on clean skin after showering. Throughout the duration of exposure to the sun then, on return, we finish the bottle by daily moisturizer, knowing that it takes three weeks for skin cells to regenerate. Prefer, if possible, fluid, gelled or milky textures, which are easier to spread and avoid irritating friction. Take it easy so as not to irritate your already heated skin by exposure to the sun; the touches must remain pleasant and this can constitute a real “well-being” moment!
After-sun or moisturizing milk?
Summer we multiply the causes of dehydration : exposure to the sun, showers and therefore contact with drying surfactants… The lipid film is attacked. To compensate, it is necessary to rehydrate the skin in the evening, it is an automatic gesture to have! If the skin has been exposed a lot, or if you have some Sun burn, it is better to favor an after-sun treatment, more suitable for heated skin. On the other hand, and that only if there is no sunburn, a hydratant soap meets the main needs of the skin.