Looking forward to welcoming your child, don’t forget to go through the administrative formalities. You have five days to declare the arrival of your baby to the town hall of his place of birth.
The birth declaration of your child in civil status
As soon as your baby is born, the doctor or midwife give you a birth certificate. It will allow you to declare the existence of your child. This is the first step in becoming a citizen.
It is generally the father who is responsible for the birth declaration. However anyone who attended the birth is able to do this.
The birth declaration must be made within five working days of delivery (until 2016 this period was three days).
- The day of delivery is not counted in this count.
- If the five-day period ends on a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday, it is extended until the next working day.
If you have exceeded the legal deadline, you will have to wait for the judgment of a more expensive and longer district court.
See you at the town hall of the town where the childbirth took place with the registrar.
You must have the following documents:
- certificate issued by the maternity ward,
- parents’ identity card,
- act of recognition if this was done before the birth,
- family record book to register the newborn, if the parents have one. If you are not married and if it is your first child, the family record book will be issued to you after the birth declaration,
- declaration of choice of name if necessary.
At the end of this free procedure, the registrar gives you the civil status certificate in several copies. They will be necessary for other administrative procedures.
Namely: in some public hospitals, a civil status officer is on duty to register birth declarations.
Recognition of your child
You must recognize your child to allow him to be registered in your filiation, your family history.
For the mother, if it was she who gave birth and whose name is written on the birth certificate, recognition goes without saying. This approach therefore concerns more particularly the father. Indeed if he is not married to the mother, he must recognize this natural child for the filiation to be established. By this act, he therefore obtains the same rights (parental authority) as in the case of a legitimate child.
You can recognize the child even before it is born. Bring a coin identity to make a declaration to the civil status. A copy of the act of recognition is given to you on site. You will need to provide it when registering the birth. You can also make this recognition at the time of the birth declaration, within five days of giving birth or even after.
- Before birth: the recognition process can be done in any town hall,
- At the time of the birth declaration: go to the town hall of the place of birth,
- After the birth declaration: the recognition process can be done in any town hall. This recognition will then be mentioned in the child’s birth certificate and in the family record book.
The declaration of birth to Social Security and the Caf
A few days after birth, but as quickly as possible, your child must be attached to the Primary Health Insurance Fund (CPAM) and declared to the Family Allowance Fund (CAF).
At birth, it will be either the father or the mother who will take care of providing these documents to the branches on which he depends. You will decide together for which of you it is the most advantageous to reattach your child.
You need inform the organizations concerned of the birth of your child as soon as possible upon leaving the maternity ward and as soon as you have the copies of the birth certificate in your hands.
- This shipment, therefore, concerns the primary health insurance fund on which the father or mother depends for the social security system as well as the mutual. Ask your branch for a connection request from beforehand. Do not forget to attach your birth certificate, the certificate of the neonatal examination, and the receipt for the expenses of the childbirth (for the mother’s Social Security).
- Also send a birth certificate to the Family Allowance Fund to benefit from any services. A specific certificate is intended for him.
Also inquire about pre-registration in crèche. Performed during pregnancy, it must surely be confirmed also at the time of birth.