The nails are the mirror of our health and our first business card: clean and well cared for (or not), they will say a lot about us. Expert advice.
“Feed” his nails with the right foods
Advice from Véronique Liégeois, dietician:
“In France, women are rarely deficient because the diet is naturally varied. For nails, nutrition advice are the same as for hair and skin. Here is what to eat in sufficient quantity.
- From protein, made up of amino acids. Among them, egg proteins are particularly interesting because they consist of sulfur-containing amino acids (homocysteine, methionine, etc.). However, sulfur participates in the formation of keratin, constituting the nails. These sulfur amino acids are also found in peas.
- the iron found mainly in red meat, or, failing that, in legumes (lentils, beans, dry peas). Sign of a lack of iron: dull, soft nails.
- the zinc in seafood (fish and shellfish). A dietary supplement may be necessary if it is lacking.
- The group B vitamins (B1, B2, B6, B8 …) have a direct impact on the quality of the skin and integuments. They are common in the diet, the deficiency is rare.
- The lipids also have a direct impact on the skin and nails. Favor omega-3 and 6.
- The vitamin A is important for tissue regeneration. It is found in butter, cheese, whole milk. Women on a diet may lack it.
For those who have the fragile nails, I recommend a cure of natural brewer’s yeast for at least a month. This yeast is very effective because it contains proteins, zinc, B vitamins … ”
Do not weaken your nails on a daily basis
Advice from Dr Ludovic Rousseau, dermatologist, site www.dermatonet.com :
“A woman can very well apply varnish all her life without a problem, but under certain conditions. The symptoms of weakened nailpose an aesthetic problem … but not only. If they are too soft, cracked, split… they can be indicative of a pathology or a deficiency : anemia, lack of vitamins, infection, endocrine gland disorders …
Certain daily habits can also damage the nails: repeated and prolonged immersions in hot water, certain professional activities, trauma and the excessive or inappropriate use of cosmetics. Actions to avoid:
- using too many metal instruments or sticks can cause onycholysis (nail detachment) in roller coaster, or transverse;
- doing too much push back cuticles can cause transverse furrows and especially cause inflammation, even infection around the nail ;
- there is a risk of contamination due to false nails ;
- certain attacks of eczema on the eyelids are the direct consequence of a reaction to the varnish (by the friction of the nails on the eyelids).
The actions to be favored:
- to pose a base before varnish in order to limit the risk of the latter staining the nail;
- let the nail breathe for a few days between two nail polish applications. “
An aromatherapist teaches you how to apply theCastor oil which will hydrate and promote regrowth of your nails.
A successful homemade manicure
Advice from Naomie, manicurist, training manager at Nailsparis
“With natural products, you can make your nails shine like a varnish!” The home routine for beautiful, well-groomed nails is not complicated.
- Cut them once a week, at nail clipper, and round the edges with a cardboard file. For toenails, file also on the top, unlike the fingernailsbecause the toenails tend to thicken more.
- Treat them in depth, after cutting them, with two natural ingredients: lemon andmonoi oil. The procedure: liberally coat the nails with oil, massage them well on the edges. Then, with half a lemon, rub gently. Lemon will cleanse, provide vitamins and also whiten the nail. Dry with a paper tissue. Gently run the nails with a polisher. They should shine like a clear polish.
- The nail nutrition is essential: if the edge of the nail is dry, the massage with nutritive oil (monoi oil, but also argan, castor, jojoba oil…) at least every other evening, and sleep all night long with greasy fingernails. Attention: the small skins on the edges must not be too cut! Only remove what is protruding. Between two applications of varnish, especially if it is a long-lasting varnish, let the nails breathe. Take advantage of this break to give them their oil and lemon treatment cure, before varnishing them again. “
What are nail supplements worth?
Even if the diet is varied … no one is perfect! Deficits can set in, which can be compensated by cure of nutritional supplements ?
- These capsules contain the essential vitamins of group B, minerals (zinc, selenium …), amino acids, essential fatty acids.
- Why are they often “Hair and nails” ? Because nails are similar in composition to hair, they are made up mainly of keratin (sulfur amino acids).
- To be effective, the cure must last 3 months. An exercise in perseverance!