It takes, on average, seven to ten days to heal from bronchitis, flu, tonsillitis … But these infections leave us tired and weakened. How to regain tone, vitality, and stimulate our immune system?
After a winter infection, focus on the right foods
- After a cold or bronchitis, favor thefoods rich in vitamin C. “It is the essential vitamin for recovery, assures Marie-Laure André, dietician-nutritionist. It strengthens the body by stimulating the production of red blood cells. The body, better oxygenated, regains more strength.” The foods richest in vitamin C are citrus fruits, Red fruits, the peppers, and the aromatic herbs (including parsley). Consume the equivalent of 400 mg per day of vitamin C for ten days, that is, for example, two kiwis, or 100 g of blackcurrant, or a juice prepared with a grapefruit and two oranges for breakfast.
- After the flu, bet onmagnesium to fight against muscle weakness and persistent fatigue. Each day for a month, consume at least 300 mg, or the equivalent of 100 g of dark chocolate, 300 g of lentils, or 150 g of wheat germ. You will also find this mineral in dried fruits (130 mg / 100 g), wholemeal bread (40 mg / 100 g), emmental (50 mg / 100 g) or Hepar water (110 mg / l ).
- No irritating foods for the throat after tonsillitis: “The acidity of certain foods, spices and excessively salty foods tend to irritate the mucous membranes of the oropharyngeal sphere”, explains Marie-Laure André. His advice: adopt a soft diet (purees, compotes, soups…) and neutral (not too salty, neither acidic, nor spicy), for a week, to soothe the throat and allow the mucous membrane to rebuild.
Cleanse and detoxify the body thanks to plants
Properly chosen, plants help cleanse the affected area to prevent the disease from reactivating.
- After a cold, enjoy the benefits of eucalyptus: place in a diffuser a preparation comprising four drops of essential oil of Eucalyptus globulus and four others of essential oil of maritime pine. “These cleanse the entire upper ENT system and strengthen the immune system”, assures Nathalie Foiret, naturopath. Warning ! This preparation is not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women, or for children under 6 years old.
- After a flu, bet on black elderberry ! Effective during illness, this plant detoxifies the body, fights against flu-like symptoms and quickly gets back on its feet. “Throw a handful of dried flowers in boiling water and let steep for 5 minutes, advises Nathalie Foiret. Drink this preparation throughout the day for ten days.”
- After angina, enjoy the benefits of Rosewood and niaouli : apply locally, three times a day, a drop of essential oils of rosewood and niaouli on your throat and massage to make it penetrate. “Rosewood softens the throat and niaouli cleanses the entire ganglion system,” says Nathalie Foiret. You can also use, three times a day for ten days, a gargle, by mixing twenty-five drops of calendula mother tincture in half a glass of water. “This plant is an excellent disinfectant: it cleans away the rest of the infection and soothes irritations.”
- After bronchitis, bet onechinacea: ask your pharmacist for a bottle of fresh echinacea plant extract. Mix a teaspoonful of this juice in half a glass of water and drink it morning and evening for ten days. This calms irritation, helps the lining of the throat to rebuild and limits the return of the disease.
You will buy plants from a herbalist pharmacist, and essential oils from pharmacies or health food stores.
Fight fatigue after infection
Plants are also valuable allies in combating fatigue, physical and mental, which occurs after an infectious episode. Here are two particularly effective in this indication:
- the ginseng : 2 g per day in powder, 400 mg per day in dry extract, as a one-month treatment (not recommended for children and pregnant women);
- the’sea buckthorn accelerates convalescence and stimulates the immune system, in the form of a three-week cure at a rate each morning of a tablespoon of juice for adults, a teaspoon for children.
Another solution: a trace elements cure : the copper-gold-silver trio is particularly recommended. These minerals help both fight against fatigue and stimulate our immune defenses.
Use homeopathy to recover and avoid a relapse
- To avoid relapses due to diseases affecting the nose, it is recommended to take Nux vomica 5 CH and Sulfur iodatum 9 CH.
- Against sore throats, Argentum nitricum 5 CH and Phytolacca 5 CH.
- In case of bronchial disease, Hepar Sulfur 15 CH.
These homeopathic treatments are to be taken one week per month, at the rate of three granules morning and evening during the rest of the winter.
After a flu, to fight against fatigue by taking China rubra 9 CH, five granules morning and evening for two weeks, and to rule out a relapse, Sulfur iodatum 9 CH, five granules per day for one month.