Lemongrass essential oil is used for its benefits for digestion and nervous fatigue. Here is how to use it safely and get rid of stomach cramps and bloating.
What is lemongrass?
The lemongrass (cymbopogon flexuosus) is a narrow leaf plant measuring up to 1.5m high. It is also called ‘Indian verbena’ and is part of the poaceae family, like the lemongrass. Lemongrass is a plant native to India, Spain and Italy.
The part of the plant used to make the essential oil is the leaf. It contains molecules of geranial, of neral.
What are the benefits of lemongrass?
Lemongrass essential oil has many properties.
- It stimulates the digestive system.
- It acts on the nervous fatigue.
- It relieves joint pain.
- She calms the muscle aches.
- She has an action against the cellulite.
- She has an action insect repellent.
The indications of lemongrass essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil can be used in several ways: by oral intake, by diffusion preferably associated with a citrus essential oil because the smell of lemongrass is heady, and when applied to the skin diluted in vegetable oil.
• Lemongrass essential oil for massage
In 5 to 10% dilution in a vegetable oil and after having made a skin test in the crease of the elbow 24 hours before use.
– For facilitate digestion : massage the belly with the essential oil of lemongrass diluted after each meal, in a clockwise direction. Also massage the feet.
– For limit bloating : as for digestion, massage the stomach in a clockwise direction.
– For reduce cellulite : after diluting the essential oil of lemongrass, massage the areas of the body affected by the cellulite, often the thighs, the hips, the buttocks, morning and evening, for several weeks.
– For calm insect bites : dilute one drop of lemongrass essential oil in four drops of neutral vegetable oil. Apply to the insect bitemorning and evening and until his disappearance.
– Against the greasy hair, the dandruff : add a drop of lemongrass essential oil to a knob of shampoo and wash your hair.
– Against the joint pain : dilute the essential oil of lemongrass to 5 to 10% in a neutral vegetable oil and apply the mixture in massage on the painful area.
– Against the muscle aches : dilute the essential oil of lemongrass to 5 to 10% in a neutral vegetable oil and apply the mixture in massage on the painful muscle.
– To treat a loss of voice : anti-inflammatory, the essential oil of lemongrass, associated with other essential oils such as that ofEucalyptus radiated, can help to treat a loss of voice, by massaging the throat.
• Lemongrass essential oil in diffusion
– Againstanguish and anxiety, inhale the essential oil of lemongrass thanks to an electric or ceramic diffuser for example. For the number of drops, refer to the instructions for use of each diffuser. Usually no more than 2 to 3 drops, and a maximum of 30 minutes.
Good to know: in diffusion, it is advisable to combine the essential oil of lemongrass with a citrus essential oil because its smell can be quickly overwhelming.
– In case of nervous fatigue : breathe in for 30 minutes maximum the essential oil of lemongrass diffused thanks to an atmospheric diffuser.
What precautions should be taken ?
Lemongrass essential oil should not be used in children under the age of six. In oral intake, she is exclusively for adults and after medical advice. In this form, it makes it possible to treat heartburn and the intestinal worms, at the rate of one drop of lemongrass essential oil diluted in a tablespoon of edible vegetable oil, to be taken twice a day. Attention, avoid prolonged use!
What are the contraindications?
Lemongrass essential oil should not be used in pregnant women nor at mothers who breastfeed their babies. It is also contraindicated inpeople with epileptic seizures and in case ofallergy to aromatic molecules.
Also be careful, in the event of ongoing medical treatment, the advice of a health professional is essential.