The essential oil of rose geranium has multiple properties: anti-infectious, soothing, repellent … What does it treat and how to use it properly? Responses from Dr Philippe Goëb, general practitioner and aromatherapy trainer, and Valérie Debray from Fleurance Nature.
What is that ?
The pink geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) is a perennial which is about 1 meter high. It is part of the family of Geraniaceae. It flowers from May to September. Its flowers are pink, its leaves, covered with hairs, have a velvety appearance. Crumpled, they have a smell of rose, in clusters, grouped in pairs. The pink geranium is planted in the spring and likes to be exposed to the sun directly or under a veranda.
The pink geranium is from South Africa, but today it is cultivated all over the world. It is found in Egypt, on Reunion Island, Madagascar, China.
What parts are used for the essential oil?
The essential oil of rose geranium is obtained from flowering aerial parts. The process consists in removing, with the water vapor, the volatile constituents (essential oil) of the flowering parts. Then, the vapor condenses in the essence, separating the essential oils from the hydrosol (water).
The active substances found in the essential oil of rose geranium are the lemongrass : between 18 and 30%, the geraniol : between 10 and 23%, and the linalool : between 2 and 10%.
What are the properties of rose geranium essential oil?
The indications concerning the essential oil of Geranium rose are numerous.
- She is anti-infectious and bactericidal, effective in case ofangina, sinusitis, rhinitis, tracheitis, bronchitis…
- She is antifungal and treats skin problems: acne, nail fungus, skin or mucous membrane infections.
- She is repulsive.
- She is soothing and contributes to the physical and mental relaxation.
- It facilitatesfalling asleep.
- It is used for skin care for the face and body (dry skin, hair mask…).
The essential oil of rose geranium can be used in different ways:
- By cutaneous route, in massages.
- In broadcast.
What are the indications and dosage?
- Against acne pimples : place directly on the button, using a cotton swab, a drop of essential oil of rose geranium. Repeat the operation once or twice a day, until the button disappears.
- Against nail fungus : mix 10 drops of essential oil of rose geranium in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Apply daily by massage to infected nails until the fungus disappears.
- To protect yourself from insect bites : mix 10 drops of essential oil of rose geranium in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Apply to ankles, wrists, clothing, several times a day. Another possibility: drop a few drops of essential oil of rose geranium in a diffuser to keep mosquitoes away, in the bedroom for example.
- To calm down, relax, promote well-being : place a few drops of essential oil of rose geranium in the diffuser and leave to act for about twenty minutes to benefit from its soothing properties. To do especially in the evening, in the bedroom, before going to bed, to promote sleep. Or after a stressful day of work.
- Against angina, tracheitis, bronchitis, sinusitis, rhinitis : dilute 2 drops in a little honey and take 4 times a day, orally, for 5 days.
- To soothe dry skin : place 1 drop in a dab of sweet almond oil and massage the body and face with it in the evening before going to bed.
- To tone the hair : add 2 drops of essential oil of rose geranium in a nut of mask for hair. Coat the hair with it, leave on for a few minutes before rinsing.
What precautions should be taken with the essential oil of Geranium rose?
At the children aged 7 to 12, the dosage indicated above must be divided by two whether for the oral route or for the cutaneous route.
What are its contraindications?
- Rose geranium essential oil is not suitable for children under 7 years old.
- It should not be used in pregnant women, at the nursing mothers.
- It is contraindicated to people allergic to one of its components, and in particular to linalool.