Whatever term is used – jogging, running, jogging Where running -, it’s a endurance sport most natural since it can be practiced outdoors with minimal equipment.
The main benefits of jogging
The benefits of running are those of aerobic exercises, to know :
- a improved heart functione (the heart contracts more powerfully and beats less quickly, both at rest and during effort) and respiratory capacities;
- a better resistance to effort ;
- optimized use of energy reserves (sugars and fats) by the body and regression of “bad” cholesterol in favor of “good” cholesterol;
- an increase in muscle mass and a decrease in fat mass. Ultimately, running reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease;
- finally, she helps fight effectively against stress (secretion of endorphins during exercise, the hormones of happiness!) and depression: unlike other endurance activities (swimming, cycling, etc.), the athlete must here mobilize his own weight during the effort, increasing thus its calorie expenditure.
Precautions to take before running
First imperative before you (re) start running: consult a sports doctor or a cardiologist to make sure that there are no contraindications to practice of an endurance sport.
The main contraindications specific to running are:
- being overweight (if the BMI, body mass index, is greater than 28), which can cause pain in the knees and back,
- joint problems,
- and severe heart problems.
Good to know: it is possible to start running after 50 years. Running is practiced at any age group, as long as physical condition allows.
Choosing the right shoes
You will then acquire a pair of sneakers suitable for running, with a cushioning sole and half a size above your usual size.
When trying on, you will check that your toes do not hit the front of the shoe (allow half a centimeter of space in front of the longest toe). Buy them at the end of the day, when your feet, as with exertion, will have slightly swollen.
You can also invest in technical socks made of breathable fabric.
Finally, also consider choosing a bra suitable for sports to hold your chest firmly.
Running, in practice
“To begin with, you absolutely have to decide that you are going to run for 30 minutes, advises Christophe Delong, a doctor specializing in rehabilitation, even if you are out of breath after 5 minutes. In this case, it is enough to walk quickly for a minute or two with deep breaths … then start to jog again. “
Make sure you run smoothly, without straining your arms or shoulders, and without tiring yourself: you must be able to hold a conversation in the effort to ideally reach 60 to 70% of your maximum heart rate (formula for calculating the heart rate at which you need to work: maximum heart rate (220) – age (for example 220 – 50 years = 170)).
As you train, at least twice a week, you may be able to cut back on walking times to actually run for 30 to 45 minutes.
do not forget to drink regularly, before and after the effort, and to practice some stretches after your workout.