It’s the most consumed mushroom in the world after button mushroom. Originally from Asia, shiitake has gradually taken its place on the plates of the French, and is cultivated and produced in France. Due to its antioxidant properties,we lend this mushroom anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. The fact remains that, in order to take advantage of it and not get intoxicated, eat it well cooked, not raw.
In a new opinion, the National Health Security Agency (ANSES) and the General Directorate for Competition, Consumer Affairs and Fraud Control (DGCCRF) recall that an alert had already been launched in 2015 following a number of significant poisoning. And despite the alert, poisoning persists. Since 2015, poison control centers have recorded 11 to 15 cases per year of shiitake poisoning causing skin signs.
Raw mushrooms can cause skin poisoning
Because the consumption of these raw or undercooked mushrooms causes a very specific form of skin intoxication: toxic “flagellum” dermatitis. “It covers the entire body and face and results in severe itching can last up to three weeks ”, details ANSES.
“Symptoms appear within hours or days of consumption and may reactivate if swallowed again. The amount of fungi ingested would also play a role in its appearance and persistence.”, She adds, specifying that lentin is the substance of the shiitake which would cause this skin pathology, substance which is destroyed in the event of cooking.
Indispensable to cook the shiitake to heart
The DGCCRF, ANSES and the poison control centers thus recall that it is “essential not to consume this mushroom without having previously cooked it to heart”. Quick cooking in a wok is sometimes insufficient to destroy the toxic substance, as evidenced by several cases that have occurred after the consumption of shiitake in restaurants offering this type of cooking.
The three bodies invite mushroom enthusiasts to consult the list of edible mushrooms published by ANSES in 2017, which details the edibility conditions and precautions to be taken according to the type of fungus.
Source: “Poisoning by shiitake mushrooms: ANSES and the DGCCRF recall the importance of cooking them well before consuming them “ , Anses press release, April 9, 2021.