Recognized for its health and beauty benefits, apple cider vinegar was once called the elixir of youth. Its manufacture results from a double fermentation of apple juice, the sugar of which ferments to turn into alcohol. This is then enriched with acetic acid. It is this acetic acid content and its acidic pH, close to the skin and hair, which provides apple cider vinegar with its powers.
What are the hair benefits of apple cider vinegar?
- Shine star. “Its radiance effect does not go unnoticed and this thanks to its famous acidic pH. In contact with the hair, apple cider vinegar seals her cuticles (scales), smooths them, and gives the lengths a maximum reflective surface. As a bonus, it neutralizes limestone, dislodges its dull veil. The hair then captures the light to shine better “, explains Olivier Lebrun, hairdresser.
- Champion of express disentangling. “By instantly closing the bristling scales, in addition to smoothing, illuminating the hair, in the process, the cider vinegar lmade very silky, easier to disentangle “, adds the hairdresser.
- Hair coloring and care boost. “Under the action of chemical treatments such as coloring products, the scales of the hair straighten out. Apple cider vinegar, associated with a moisturizer (coconut oil, avocado oil) in the final step, is saving. After penetrating the treatment, it folds back the scales, hair well-nourished, sheathed, shiny with the key. It secures the coloring, prevents the hair from disgorging at high speed“, specifies Olivier Lebrun.
- Anti-impurities parade. “Its acetic acid content helps to dislodge dust, pollen, pollution particles. It also removes residues from hair products which can accumulate on the scalp, making the hair airier “, adds the expert.
Is apple cider vinegar suitable for all hair types?
“Dry hair, go your way. While its acidic pH has advantages for disentangling the mane, the acidity of apple cider vinegar may weaken hair with a tendency to dryness. Be careful also with sensitive scalps, which it could irritate! It is therefore recommended to use it very occasionally on healthy hair as well as on a scalp which does not present any pathology “.
It is very effective on oily hair, to always use moderately and on condition of rinsing it well, advises Dr. Naïma Midoun, dermatologist.
How to choose your cider vinegar?
We choose it organic, preferably, in order to avoid unwanted pesticides. “The color of apple cider vinegar is a good indication, it varies according to the variety of apples from which it is made. It can appear more or less clear, amber.
- Blondes should select it ultra-light, so as not to risk seeing their color changed.
- Brunettes can choose it with their eyes closed, clear or golden, no alteration possible “, indicates Olivier Lebrun
Three DIY recipes to restore shine and suppleness to your hair
1. Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar
Ingredients : 200 ml of water • 200 ml of apple cider vinegar • 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- In a bottle, we start by pouring the water, we add the dose of cider vinegar and we incorporate the drops of lavender essential oil. We blend.
- After shampooing, damp hair, head down, this treatment is poured as a rinse lotion on the scalp, it will spread naturally over the lengths.
Recipe is taken from Manufacture its beauty & health products, Régine Quéva, Larousse edition, € 14.90.
The advice of Dr. Naïma Midoun “This preparation is very effective for shining the hair, but beware of the high content of apple cider vinegar which could irritate the scalp! The ideal is to reduce the dose of apple cider vinegar by half and apply this preparation only on lengths, on healthy hair, once a week. Be careful also with lavender essential oil and the risk of allergy! It is preferable to test it beforehand in the bend of the elbow to check that the skin is there not responsive. ”
2. A lotion for sensitive scalps
Ingredients : 75 ml of distilled water • 25 ml of apple cider vinegar • 2 tablespoons of dried thyme
- In a saucepan, place all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Remove the pan, cover it, and let infuse until completely cooled.
- The preparation is filtered with fine cheesecloth or a coffee filter, and it is poured into a hermetically sealed bottle.
- Gently rub the entire scalp with this lotion, with the tips of the fingers spread in the spider position.
The advice of Dr. Naïma Midoun “Even if the amount of distilled water dilutes the apple cider vinegar content, it is not recommended to apply this preparation on a sensitive scalp, it could irritate it. It can be used occasionally on leather. healthy hair to degrease it from styling product residues, massive sweating after a workout, or wearing a bicycle helmet, for example. ”
3. A cleansing lotion for oily hair
Ingredients : 190 ml of distilled water • 4 tbsp. to s. of fresh thyme • 2 sprigs of fresh mint • 5 ml of cider vinegar • 5 ml of vegetable glycerin • 5 drops of essential oil of lemongrass • 10 drops of essential oil of lavender • 5 drops of essential oil of sage • 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- We infuse the mint and thyme in distilled water. Allowed to cool, then passed through a coffee filter.
- The preparation is poured into a bottle provided with a spray.
- We add vegetable glycerin, essential oils, apple cider vinegar, and grapefruit seed extract.
- Before each use, the preparation is shaken well.
Recipes from Making natural cosmetics is easy!, Cyrille Saura-Zellweger, Jouvence editions, € 8.70.
The advice of Dr. Naïma Midoun “This lotion is ideal for degreasing the hair, the apple cider vinegar content is low, just enough to eliminate a greasy effect without attacking the hair. On the other hand, it presents risks of allergy, because it contains a lot of essential oils. Their use is not without risk, a check by the dermatologist is imperative. This lotion is used once a week, avoiding the hairdryer, because the acidity of the cider vinegar and the heat of the latter do not mix well. “