Whether you are a regular, or have started after the first ultrasound, practicing yogawhen you are pregnant is very useful for your health and to prepare you for the efforts that await you. It will allow you to live your pregnancy better on a daily basis. But before you start, it’s important to educate yourself well.
What type of yoga can a pregnant woman do?
Prenatal yoga is perfect for the pregnant woman : it acts at different levels, helping the mother-to-be to live her pregnancy while being as peaceful as possible, and to approach childbirth without fear. It acts both physically and psychologically.
Please note: while most pregnant women can practice prenatal yoga, there are some contraindications. For example, the yoga is not recommended:
- In the event of a difficult pregnancy or at risk;
- In case of’history of miscarriages ;
- In case hypertensionor major problems with the circulation or heart;
- In any case where the exercise poses a risk to the unborn baby;
- It’s necessary avoid bikram yoga (or hot yoga) during pregnancy.
What is prenatal yoga?
the prenatal yoga is body and breathing work with postures and positions specially adapted for pregnant women.
The purpose of yoga for pregnant women : relax and master the functioning of your diaphragm, abdominal belt and perineum. In practice, it is a question of carrying out breathing exercises Where “prayanama” to become fully aware of his breath. Breathing is very important during pregnancy to better oxygenate the baby and on the day of delivery to endure the contractions and promote expulsion.
The future mom takes advantage of these lessons on the day of childbirth, because he have a deep, calm breathing at the time of dilation, and very intense exhalations at the time of flare-ups.
When can expectant mothers start prenatal yoga classes?
If you are already a proven yogi, you can continue your traditional yoga classes until the end of the first trimester. If not, you can start from the first trimester, but only if you have a normal pregnancy, and without risks or without history of miscarriage. Some teachers prefer to play the card of caution and do not accept a pregnant woman during their first trimester of pregnancy.
Benefits of prenatal yoga: why do it during pregnancy?
Prenatal yoga acts on both physical and psychological well-being:
- On physical well-being : it offers postures from yoga, but specifically adapted to the problem of pregnant womenfor’soothe lower back pain, of the sciatic nerve,improve the elasticity of the perineum… On the other hand, there is no work done on the abdominals, of course;
- On psychological well-being : it allows the pregnant woman to reconnect to her, to his feelings, to his baby, to enjoy a moment that makes him feel good because the breathing exercises bring relaxation and away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
More generally, the prenatal yoga is a gentle sport excellent for:
- Do full of energy ;
- Limit nausea, the heavy legs, the back pain ;
- Strengthen certain muscles what you will need to give birth;
- Work the flexibility and thebalance ;
- Reduce the stress and reconnect your body to your mind.
The breathing exercises also allow good prepare for childbirth. Remember to follow your instincts and never force yourself.
Prenatal yoga: a good preparation for childbirth
Practiced every week, prenatal yoga prepares the body for childbirth by promoting a good pelvic mobility, a muscle tone, and an better breathing management during working hours, in addition to childbirth preparation sessions.
Thanks to prenatal yoga, the mother-to-be is also closer to the sensations of his body. She has also worked self-confidence, which will help her on the day of childbirth to believe in her abilities and to approach this physical ‘marathon’ more calmly. She will see there tooa benefit in terms of fatiguepostpartum, with faster recovery.
Prenatal yoga: some postures and positions to adopt
To relieve your little ailments, you will do a set of exercises, accompanied by a small anatomical course. On the program: stretching, from posturesWhere “asanas“, to test, to arrange and to adopt according to your morphology, the position of the baby. You will feel lighter, more flexible despite the weight of the belly. It is not about becoming an acrobat, but about achieving well-being, for example, by stretching your spine, by tilting your pelvis.
Here are some postures to remember:
- The cow pose : seated, legs crossed one on top of the other, one stretches upwards;
- The tree pose(carried out with a wall within reach) helps to work on the balance that can be disturbed in pregnant women, the weight of the uterus pulling forward. Standing, we lean on the left leg, we bend the right leg and we position our foot at the level of the ankle, the calf or the top of the thigh;
- The cat-cow pose : on all fours, we do the hollow back, the round back, without insisting on the digging but rather to seek the stretch.
Always with the objective of protecting your body, the midwife will teach you the right reflexes to get up, sit down and lower yourself. Your body weight is changing. The center of gravity is changed, and it is not always easy to live on a daily basis without suffering from it. For this, we often start from the analysis of bad movements: for example, do not lean forward to lower yourself to the ground, you may fall. Learn to bend your legs, it’s less painful and less dangerous.
Midwife, doctor … Who can give prenatal yoga classes?
Many yoga classes are taught by doctors, midwives, or people from the medical world. However, this is not an obligation: there are prenatal yoga training courses, intended for people from early childhood, related to motherhood, or yoga teachers who want to specialize … it is to make sure that the teacher is well trained in prenatal yoga, and that he or she is aware of the usual practices.
Choose a teacher who is used to practicing with pregnant women because some positions are not suitable for pregnancy.
Do not hesitate to ask your midwife, osteopath or even your friends for more information. to find the teacher you like!
Prenatal yoga, practical information
For each prenatal yoga session, bring loose clothing in which you are comfortable. The activity is practiced in socks. Remember to take a small snack before you start. the future dad can attend the sessions, it will then be a team work.
Seven childbirth preparation sessions are reimbursed by Social Security, provided they are dispensed by a doctor or midwife. Their duration varies from 45 to 90 minutes. The sooner you start, the sooner you will master the art of breathing, essential for the day of childbirth.
One appointment at the doctor’s to check that it is safe for you to practice pregnant is essential.
Can we do prenatal yoga in the 9th month of pregnancy?
The expectant mother can attend prenatal yoga classes until the end of pregnancy. There is no no real contraindication except, of course, in case of bed rest.
Although a medical certificate of fitness is not always required, it is important to give the yoga teacher a brief report on their last obstetrical appointment so that it best adapts the positions. For example, if the baby is already low, there will be no squatting position.