These small vessels visible on the cheeks but also sometimes on the forehead, nose and chin, are accompanied by more or less significant redness. Here are the tips of our experts to calm the fire caused by rosacea.
Medicines and facials for rosacea
The advice of Dr Didier Coustou, dermatologist: “We must limit the risk of irritation. “.
- Favor gentle hygiene. Rosacea is either the visible manifestation of a rosacea, or the result of repeated external attacks, sun, wind, cold. Adopt products, such as milks or micellar waters, that do not require rinsing, hard tap water can be a source of irritation. Yes the skin is reactive (in short, that it does not support anything), also limit the use of cotton, prefer the fingers to emulsify the products.
- Protect yourself from the sun’s UV rays, but also of its heat which increases the vasodilation of the vessels. If you are going on vacation in the tropics, seek shade; at home, take showers at a reasonable temperature and do not expose your face to the heat of the hairdryer on a daily basis.
- VSchoose sanointings with soothing and vasoconstrictor active ingredients and formulas with few ingredients to limit the risk of irritation. Each brand has its recipe, among the most famous ingredients, we find bisabolol, ruscus, polyphenols. The soft and cool textures are recommended to immediately calm the sensations of heat. Avoid all products containing alcohol.
- Adopt an anti-redness joker. Recent on the market, the topical medication, Mirvaso, a very strong vasoconstrictor, allows in half an hour to reduce redness. The effect lasts about ten hours. It does not heal but it can be interesting in certain situations, for example when speaking in public.
Corrective makeup to reduce facial redness
The advice of Carine Larchet, make-up artist and head of the corrective make-up workshop, La Roche Posay spa: “Make-up provides a natural result. ”
- Trust specific corrective makeup: rosacea being a vascular problem, it locally increases skin temperature. The texture of traditional foundations changes above 36.8 ° C. Their behavior is not guaranteed.
- Make a cross on the green. While the green base made the skin gray on the surface and therefore made it necessary to wear thick foundation on top, the new corrective formulas can be used on their own, offering a natural finish without loss of radiance. Their secret? A high concentration of pigments, especially yellow, close to natural melanin.
- Adapt the camouflage effect. If your rosacea is mild, adopt a fluid formula. Apply it smoothly with a brush. Never work with your finger, which is too hot for this type of skin. If your rosacea is more intense, use a sponge, which allows a more covering finish. You can choose between a fluid if your skin is oily, a cream or a compact if it is dry. In all cases, concentrate the material on the redness, then stretch towards the rest of the face.
- Combine the products. When the rosacea is very localized, you can apply a BB cream as a base, for example, and be satisfied with the corrector locally. A yellow stick is then often sufficient.
- Dare the blush. Unless the redness is so intense that it can be seen through transparency under the corrector, do not hesitate to wear blush, preferably apricot.
Laser treatment for rosacea
The advice of Dr Julien Carré, laser doctor: “The laser gives the skin a unified appearance. ”
- Two types of laser can be used in the office. The older lasers are those with pulsed dyes. They are very effective but, because they burst the vessels, they cause bruising for a week to ten days. Only one session is usually necessary. Another option, Yag lasers which work by photocoagulation (they tighten the walls of the capillaries to prevent blood from circulating) and only cause a redness effect for 48 to 72 hours. Then count two to three sessions depending on the importance of rosacea.
- Protocols are different depending on whether you have visible vessels (rosacea), diffuse redness (erythrosis), or both combined (erythro-rosacea). Erythrosis is in fact treated by pulsed light. When there are blood vessels and redness at the same time, the practitioner generally combines Yag laser and pulsed light in the same session.
- Heal the suites. The use of a healing cream is strongly recommended to speed up the return to normal.
- The results vary. The laser treatment gives the skin a perfectly healthy and unified appearance. When rosacea is linked to external aggressions, this effect can last up to 4 or 5 years by taking care of his lifestyle. In the case of rosacea associated with rosacea, the disease in itself not being cured, the vessels return more quickly: a maintenance session every year is then often necessary.
Count on average 150 to 180 € per laser session (not reimbursed by Social Security).
Take care of your lifestyle
If the vessels already present on the face cannot spontaneously reabsorb, the phenomenon can be stabilized through treatment but also by monitoring one’s lifestyle.
- Avoid: sun exposure and tobacco consumption are aggravating factors.
- To monitor : certain foods promote vasodilation of the vessels and make them more visible. Pointed out: alcohol, coffee, spices, chilli, pepper, mustard. It is also best to eat lukewarm, not too hot.
- To be preferred: all foods with an anti-inflammatory tendency which act on the quality of the skin and the resistance of the vessels, such as fruits, in particular red fruits, vegetables, nuts and almonds, oily fish.
- To keep: sport, even if you are red after a session. The vessels are more dilated at the moment, but no new ones are created.