What is that ?
The Small grain bigarade (Citrus aurantium) is also called bitter orange tree or Seville orange tree. It is part of the rutaceae family. It’s a hybrid between grapefruit and mandarin tree. Its fruits are edible, but bitter. It grows in Paraguay, Africa, around the Mediterranean basin. Its introduction in Europe dates from the 11th century, by the Arabs during the Crusades.
The sour orange is a easily cultivated tree in a well-draining soil and a soil rich in humus. He love the sun, but not the wind. It is watered every day in spring and summer, and once or twice a week in autumn and winter. He blooms in March-April.
What parts are used for the essential oil?
Bitter orange Petitgrain essential oil is produced from the steam distillation of leafy twigs. The water vapor carries away the volatile constituents of the leaves and twigs. Then, the vapor condenses in the cooler, then the separation of the aqueous hydrosol and the lipophilic essential oil is carried out in the essencier.
His oil is pale yellow and release a fresh smell.
The specific components of Petitgrain bigarade essential oil are linalyl acetate which contains 40 to 60% and linalool which represents between 18 and 32%.
What are the properties of Petitgrain bigarade essential oil?
– The essential oil of Petit grain bigarade is soothing and relaxing.
– It has an effect anxiolytic.
– It reduces the nervous tension due to stress.
– It promotes good management of stressful events like the exams, a job interview…
– She helps to make her mourning, whether the latter is real or symbolic.
– It reduces muscle contractures members,cramps, the stiffness, the torticollis.
– It decreases the spasms of the smooth muscles in case of gastralgia, of colic, of dysmenorrhea.
– By cutaneous route, in massages.
– In broadcast.
What are the indications and dosages of Petitgrain bigarade essential oil?
– To fight against stress : place a few drops of Petitgrain bigarade essential oil in the diffuser and breathe to promote appeasement, mental relaxation, and well-being. It is interesting to place the diffuser in the bedroom, in the evening before going to bed. This will make it easier to fall asleep.
– Against anxiety : take 2 drops at bedtime to help fall asleep in case of anxiety. Small grain bigarade essential oil can also be used as a one-week treatment. Other possibilities: place a drop at the level of the cuffs and breathe it for a few minutes, place a drop on the Solar plexus, especially in the event of feeling of suffocation linked toanxiety or to stress (spasmophilia). It is also possible to take it orally at the rate of 2 drops three times a day, as a course of one week to be renewed according to your needs.
– Against colic, bloating : mix 10 drops of small grain bigarade essential oil in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Massage the stomach, clockwise, morning and evening.
– In case of muscle contracture : mix 10 drops of small grain bigarade essential oil in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Apply a gentle massage to the area to be relaxed morning and evening for the necessary time.
What are the precautions for use?
In children from 7 to 12 years old, the dosage should be reduced by two for oral or massage use.
What are the contraindications?
– Petitgrain bigarade essential oil should not be used in children under 7 years old.
– It is also contraindicated in pregnant women and to nursing mothers.
– It is not recommended for allergic people to one of its components, and more particularly to linalool.