Without treatment, cold symptoms disappear spontaneously in seven to ten days. What you can do to stop colds quickly and avoid complications, without resorting to over-the-counter pseudoephedrine medications. These drops and anti-cold sprays containing a vasoconstrictor are indeed disputed because they can cause serious adverse effects, at the cardiac or neurological level.
Do a nose wash
At the first signs, you wash your nose. This gesture facilitates the blowing and eliminates a maximum of microbes. We favor solutions rich in minerals and trace elements, such as Seawater, to optimize the functioning of the hair cells of the nasal mucosa, the first barriers to viruses. One isotonic spray, of salt concentration identical to body fluids (9 g / l), can be used as often as necessary. It can be chosen enriched with copper, anti-infectives, or sulfur, also anti-inflammatory and “repairer” of the nasal mucosa.
If the nose is blocked, we opt for a hypertonic spray. Hypertonic solutions speed up the runny nose. Useful if the feeling of a stuffy nose is bothersome, they are nevertheless irritating because they are rich in salt (generally 22 g / l): they are therefore used only for a few days. Some contain essential oils of mint or eucalyptus which are also decongestant but are not suitable for young children.
If the nasal obstruction is significant, we move on to essential oil inhalations (ravintsara, thyme, eucalyptus, mint pdrunk…). The hot water vapor dilates the small vessels and optimizes the anti-infectious and decongestant action of essential oils, resulting in a rapid effect.
“As a large amount of active ingredients reach the respiratory tract to the bronchi, these inhalations are also useful in the event of a cough,” says Dr. Jean-Michel Morel.
In practice, plan a session of 5 to 10 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day. Discover our cold inhalation recipes.
Plants to decongest and calm flow
Some plants help with healing. They are used in cold treatment and enter into the composition of medicaments.
- This is the case withpurple coneflower and pelargonium, “to be used at the onset of a cold », Underlines Dr Jean -Michel Morel, phytotherapist. the pelargonium is recommended in the form of dry extract (generally 20 mg 3 times a day in adults) and can be used from 6 years old.
- “Another interesting plant, the black elderberry, with antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties ”, continues the doctor. It is used in doses of 200 to 400 mg per day of dry berry extract. “The herbal tea of Elderflower opens the nose, in adults as in children. Count a pinch for a cup, to take four times a day. »Elderberry is a plant known for its antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- To naturally stop a runny nose, the herbalist advises “thepeppermint essential oil, decongestant and astringent. It tightens the mucous membrane. In adults, I recommend 1 drop, four to six times a day, to be taken in honey. It may be useful to then drink a glass of lukewarm water ”.
- “In case of sneezing, we can use plantain tea (a tablespoon for a bowl, twice a day) or in EPS (standardized plant fluid extract): a teaspoonful two to three times a day for an adult. In a child: one milliliter (ml) for ten kilos of weight per day. “
Please note, these products should not be used on a child under the age of seven!
Homeo solutions for colds
Home remedies for a runny nose
- “For clear flows, a fountain nose and repeated sneezing which improve in the open air, I suggest Allium cepa 9 CH, five granules four times a day. If, on the contrary, the sneezing worsens in the cold: Nux vomica 9 CH, five granules four times a day ”, advises Dr Monique Quillard, homeopath.
- For thick flows, I prefer Kallium bichromicum 5 CH, same dosage. “
Home remedies for a stuffy nose
- For a stuffy nose that does not run and threatens to progress to sinusitis, with pain in the root of the nose, I recommend Sticta pulmonaria 5 CH, five granules four times a day ”, advises the homeopath.
- Yes the nose is blocked at night and runs yellow during the day: Pulsatilla 9 CH, five granules morning and evening. “
If the situation does not improve after two or three days of self-medication and the cold does not pass, all the more so if the fever appears, it is better to consult a doctor.