The renal colic is due to the presence of uric acid stones or calcium salts in the urinary tract. It manifests as a sharp pain in the lumbar region, in the lower back. Also, to treat it, it is necessary to know the nature of the kidney stone. Depending on the type of kidney stone, certain dietary measures can reduce the risk of relapses.
One month after the renal colic attack, it is advisable to consult a urologist or a nephrologist for a more complete assessment. It is also advisable to get help from a dietitian to implement life-saving dietary advice. Indeed, to prevent renal colic, it is necessary to adapt your lifestyle.
Follow a strict lifestyle to limit renal colic
Poor eating habits are a major cause in the formation of calcium, oxalic and uric stones. As it happens, “this is not a diet but an adjustment of your eating habits”, indicates the French Association of Urology on its website. Some advice.
– To drink a lot : at least two liters per day, or even more in hot weather or in case of intense physical activity. This will help you avoid the concentration of crystals in the urine. When calculating calcium oxalate, prefer water with a low calcium content (tap water or Volvic). If it is a calculation of uric acid, choose an alkaline water instead (like Vichy St-Yorre). Ideally, urine should be as pale as possible.
– Distribute your water consumption well: it is essential to hydrate regularly during the day and to drink at least half a liter between the evening meal and bedtime. Also, don’t hesitate to drink at night, if you wake up. Indeed, we do not consume water at night and urine concentrates, promoting the formation of stones. In the morning, to check if the urine is diluted enough, urine strips can be used to measure the density. It can also be used in case of uric acid calculus, to check whether the urine is sufficiently alkaline (measurement of urine pH).
– Practice regular physical activity and avoid excess calories.
What foods to avoid to prevent renal colic?
In general, it is advisable to eat more fruits and vegetables, especially those rich in fiber and potassium, which promote the elimination of calcium. What water to drink to avoid kidney stones? Go for the mineral waters rich in bicarbonates (Vichy Célestins, Vichy Saint-Yorre, for example).
For calcium oxalate stones
– Limit foods rich in oxalate: chocolate, spinach, pepper, rhubarb, tea …
–Avoid excess protein: do not eat meat or fish more than once a day. Don’t eat too much cheese and pulses.
– Do not drink too much tea : the longer it is infused, the more it provides large amounts of oxalate.
– Be careful with salt: no more than 6-8 g per day. To know if its consumption is too important, it is possible to measure in the laboratory the amount of sodium present in the urine of twenty-four hours. Also avoid Mineral water too rich in mineral salts (in particular in calcium such as Contrex, Hépar or Vittel).
– Also avoid water too loaded with calcium, type Contrex or Hepar. Conversely, it is useless to follow a diet too restricted in calcium, because there is a risk of bone demineralization. The daily intake should be 800 to 1000 mg, food and drink combined.
For uric acid stones
The main instruction is to restrict animal proteins.
– Avoid foods rich in purine: offal, game, shrimp, herring …
– Limit spicy foods and condiments that irritate the urinary tract.
– Limit foods rich in refined sugars and saturated fatty acids: they increase the production and retention of uric acid.
– Limit alcohol consumption: it promotes the excretion of uric acid in the urine.
More information to find on the website of French urology association.