In which cities of the world vegetarians are they more likely to find happiness? Here is a question asked by the Nestpick housing rental platform, and whose research resulted in a ranking of the 75 most “vegetarian friendly” cities in the world. The latter started from the observation that one of the main arguments cited by some people when it comes to moving or even just spending a few days on vacation in a specific city is what it has to offer in terms of vegetarian options. Therefore, she decided to create a score based on several criteria to rank the best cities for vegetarians, with a double objective.
It is indeed “to help those who seek to continue their plant-based living habits abroad to choose the right city” but also to “highlight the metropolises which do the best work to supply their vegetarian population “. The platform began by shortlisting the top 75 cities from a list of 200 that have a good reputation among vegetarians. She then analyzed the most important factors for vegetarians to lead happy and healthy lives there.
Three major themes: price, offer and events
Affordable commoditiessuchthan fruits and vegetables are essential, while vegetable proteins are fundamental to maintaining a balanced diet. Its experts have therefore looked at the cost of these three food groups, but not only.
” The home cooking is important for vegetarians, especially in the last few months of containment caused by the pandemic. But both before and after the pandemic, restaurants that mainly offer vegetable-based dishes are not only prolific in many cities, but are even considered in some to be the best-rated restaurants overall, ”he adds. ‘organization. Other criteria therefore concern the percentage and the number vegetarian restaurants in each city, and the share of restaurants with vegan options.
Finally, the platform also looked at the organization of vegetarian festivals, because these show whether a city goes the extra mile for its vegetarian residents and visitors. “With more and more people looking to reduce their meat consumption, cities must meet these needs with varied vegetarian offerings if they are to attract young talent. », Comments Omer Kucukdere, CEO of Nestpick. “We hope that this index can inspire vegetarians who want to go abroad or even provide travel destination ideas for those who are looking for the best gastronomic places vegetable based. ”
The top 10 of the ranking
The final index ranks each city out of 100, knowing that the higher the score, the better the city. for vegetarians. Three major themes are used to present the ranking (affordability, restaurants and events) themselves divided into sub-themes (price of fruits and vegetables, price and number of restaurants …) that it is possible to filter. What about the results?
- It appears that London gets first place ranking with a total score of 100, the city being distinguished in particular by its offer of restaurants and its fruits and vegetables at affordable prices.
- It is followed by the towns of Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Glasgow, Zurich, Palma, Los Angeles,Bristol and San Francisco.
- At the end of the ranking is the city of São Paulo in Brazil (score of 49.6), behind Tokyo, Bangkok and Istanbul.
Three French cities in the ranking
- You have to scroll down to 42nd place before meeting the first French city, Strasbourg, with a score of 92.9. The city is a good performer in terms of the affordability of fruit and vegetables and the price of protein, but is fishing for its lack of vegan restaurants.
- Paris comes in 61st place with a score of 90.1 due in particular to the average affordability of fruits, vegetables and proteins, but is making up for it by its number of vegetarian restaurants.
- In 70th position is Nice (score of 82.4) whose affordability is lower compared to Paris as well as the events dedicated to vegetarianism but which is distinguished by its vegan offers.